Friday, October 7, 2011

I thought this was over!!

I thought this was over...men thinking they are superior race...men thinking they are more capable,strong,intellectual and what not than women...I thought this thinking had faded over the years...the times when the men was the boss even if he was right or wrong and the women had to listen because she was just a women...I thought those times were over....

I thought it was all over until I met this peron I wanted to marry!!!

It all started when the grooms side thought they had the upper hand just because they are the GROOM's side! I was as shocked as my friend has written here that the BRIDE's side thought so as well!

Probably a wrong deed done by everyone becomes the right deed afterall!

"Your parents should come and invite my son and us for the marriage"...I heard this from my father-in-law the evening before the wedding...I dint know if I had to laugh or cry!! Laugh that these people think they should be invited for their own sons marraige?? Cry that I couldnt believe I was getting into a family who think like this!! Though I dint talk back...I dint send my parents either! I stood firmly against it!

My aunt justified that since we are spending and arranging this marriage, we have to invite the groom's side and treat them as guests!! I was like WHAT???That reminded me of the other unacceptable tradition...the bride's family should spend for the wedding!!

This tradition was probably accepted in olden days because the brides turned housewives and so the brides parents arranged the wedding, bought all the housegoods etc etc for the groom for their welfare! But what about the guys who claim they want equally educated and equally earning girl as a wife! Shouldn't they equally spend for the wedding???

With a heavy heart ,confused if this was all really right (because everyone claimed so) I got married!

Many days the ugly head of male chauvinism would rise up!

"You have come into MY family...you should follow OUR rules"...I hear this from my husband everytime... He probably forgot that the moment he married me, he had created a new family circle..A circle that just had him and me and the rules which BOTH of us believed in!

And I thought this was all over...and we had equality now and the times have changed! Nope!!

They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself..something I realised recently!

So here I am starting to write a blog hoping that someday this would all really be over...and I can bring about that change!

No comments:

Post a Comment